Economic Development Youth Summit - 2021
2021 Economic Development (Virtual) Youth Summit
Date: August 9-13 - Save the date!
Applications close: July 16, 2021
MC: Stan Wesley
Stan Wesley - MC/Host
For over 21 years, Stan Wesley has engaged and entertained audiences with his
unique style of presentations, keynotes, emcee and facilitation services. Working
at the local, regional, provincial and national levels, he speaks on a variety of
issues with a focus on celebrating success and advancing good, healthy relations
among Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal peoples.
With his high-energy, sincere, professional approach, he is considered by many to
be one of the top speakers in the country today.
Stan currently lives in Six Nations Territory with his beautiful wife, Mandy, and
their incredible daughters Maya and Tenona.
Stan Wesley, National Speaker
- Born in raised in Moose Factory.
- Loves what he does.
- Has a lot of energy, some would say too much.
- Whether it’s a group of 4 or 23,000, he gives it everything he has.
- Has been traveling around for the last 30 years doing this kind of work.
- Channels his ancestors and loves telling stories.
- Prides himself on his good reputation.
Why do you want to be a delegate?
After reflecting on the youth summit that took place a few weeks ago, I just wanted to let you know what a life changing experience it was. I learnt valuable tips and took away new knowledge that I will be able to apply in the future. I have never experienced anything quite like this conference that not only promoted the Indigenous culture but combined it with an opportunity for learning to take place.
I find there is still so much to learn and to have the opportunity to attend again would be greatly appreciated.
– Youth Summit Delegate
• You will be provided accredited training FREE of charge - each delegate successfully completing the Youth Summit will receive course credit suitable for an Indigenous Economic Developer Certification through Nicola Valley Institute of Technology.
Valued at $750
• You and your fellow delegates will be placed into groups to compete for $15,000+ in prizes:
• First Place Team: $1000 for each team member
($5,000 shared by team)
• Second Place Team: $800 for each team member
($4,000 shared by team)
• Third Place Team: $600 for each team member
($3,000 shared by team)
• Fourth Place Team: $400 for each team member
($2,000 shared by team)
• Two delegates will be selected as the "Mover & Shaker" and the "Outstanding Delegate" - each will be provided with a prize package.
Who is eligible?
The 2021 Economic Development (Virtual) Youth Summit is designed for First Nations, Métis, Inuit and non-Indigenous youth from across Canada within the ages of 18-30 years-old. The Youth Summit will promote the field of Community Economic Development and the role of the Economic Development Officer to youth.
You must not have attended the previous Youth Summits (2018 & 2019 & 2020)
There is no registration fee for selected youth!
Cando will be utlizing Zoom for the Virtual Youth Summit.
Please note you will require access to your own computer/laptop with built-in video or a connected video camera and a reliable internet connection in order to participate.
All delegates will be provided with a "Zoom 101: How-to Tutorial" prior to the event to ensure they have the capability to participate and fully contribute throughout the Youth Summit.
Each year we receive 150-200 applications, but only 40 delegates will be invited to participate - as selected by our conference organizing team.
It's not the first 40 applicants, but the 40 that best demonstrate how they are suitable to be a delegate. Show us why we should choose you to be a delegate!
Show us why we should choose you to be a delegate!
Download 2021 Application Form (PDF)!
Applications Close: July 16, 2021
Danielle Lightning at
Thank you to the 2021 Youth Summit
Partners and Sponsors:
In Partnership with:
Now more than $15,000+ in prizes!
• First Place Team: $1,000 for each team member ($5,000)
• Second Place Team: $800 for each team member ($4,000)
• Third Place Team: $600 for each team member ($3,000)
• Fourth Place Team: $400 for each team member ($2,000)
Artisans and detailed prize list coming soon!
Agenda at a Glance DRAFT
August 9-13, 2021, via Zoom Platform
Day 1 – August 9, 2021
9:00-10:00 AM (MST) - Welcome Day/Ice Breaker Day
10:00-10:30 AM (MST) - What is Economic Development?
What is Community Economic Development? Why is it important?
10:30-10:45 AM (MST) - Lunch
10:45- 11:15 AM (MST) - Expectations/Case Study
11:15- 12:00 PM (MST) - Cultural Showcase
Day 2- August 10, 2021
9:00-10:00 AM (MST) - Grand Entry & Opening Prayer
10:00-11:00 AM (MST) - Introduction to Economic Development Panel Discussion
11:00-11:30 AM (MST) - Break/Networking with EDYS Alumni
11:30-12:00 PM (MST) - CEDI Presentation
12:00-1:00 PM (MST) - Lunch
1:00-2:00 PM (MST) - Cando TAED/NIEEF Panel
2:00 pm-3:00 pm (MST) - Team Zoom Meeting
Day 3 - August 11, 2021
9:00-9:30 AM (MST) - Welcome and Introduction
9:30-10:30 AM (MST) - Good Governance Matters
10:30-10:45 AM (MST) - Break
10:45-11:45 AM (MST) - Lands Panel and Discussion-Lands Overview/History:
11:45-12:30PM (MST) - Lunch / Wellness Session -
12:30-1:00 PM (MST) - Keynote
1:00-PM (MST) - Challenge Group Working Time via Zoom
Day 4 - August 12, 2021
9:30-10:00 AM (MST)- Welcome and Introduction
10:00-11:00 AM (MST) - RBC Keynote
11:00-12:00 PM (MST) - Lunch
12:00-1:00 PM (MST) - Entrepreneurship Panel
1:00-1:30 PM (MST) - Break
1:30-2:30 PM (MST) - Cultural Session
2:30-3:30 PM (MST) - Group working time
Day 5 - August 13, 2021
9:30-10:00 AM (MST) - Welcome and Introduction
10:00-11:00 AM (MST) - Final Group Challenge Presentation
11:00-12:00 PM (MST) - Lunch
12:00-1:00 PM (MST) - Final Group Challenge Presentation
1:00-1:30 PM (MST) - Break
1:30-2:30 PM (MST) - Group Challenge Deliberation Time
2:30-3:30 PM (MST) - Closing Remarks